Curl up with a bowl of this robust, earthy soup full of colourful wild mushrooms. A spoonful of bubbly honey foam adds a perfect drop of sweetness.
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, brunoise
1 cup each of Loveday button, crimini and portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 cup Manitoba chanterelles (seasonal)
1 cup Manitoba morels (seasonal)
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups 35% cream
2 Tbsp brandy
1/4 cup white wine
Blonde Roux (1/3 cup butter, melted mixed with 1/3 cup flour)
salt and pepper
1/2 Tbsp rosemary, finely chopped 1/2 Tbsp thyme, finely chopped
6 Tbsp John Russell honey
1. In a large saucepot on medium heat, sauté onions in 2 Tbsp of oil until translucent.
2. Add half of garlic. Sauté until it begins to brown.
3. Deglaze with half of white wine. Reduce slightly.
4. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
5. Add blonde roux as needed. Using a hand immersion blender, combine for a smooth, lightly thickened veloute.
6. Reduce heat to low. Let veloute cook for 45 mins.
7. In a large pot, sweat shallots and Loveday mushrooms. Add pinch of salt. Cook for 7 mins until moisture is cooked out of mushrooms.
8. Add garlic, morels and chanterelles and cook for a few more minutes.
9. Deglaze with brandy. Add rosemary and thyme. Cook until nearly dry. a
10. Add veloute and cream.
11. Simmer on low heat for 15 mins.
1. In a measuring cup, warm remaining white wine and honey in microwave until liquid.
2. Using a hand immersion blender, pulse to produce foam.
3. Garnish chowder with foam.
Yield 12 servings