Chef Cho Venevongsa,
Wasabi On Broadway
12 pieces fresh asparagus
2/3 cup white sesame seeds
4 tsp sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp dashi powder
1 carrot, for curls
1. Blanch asparagus in salted boiling water until just tender. Immediately transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking process. Drain well. Cut each spear into 3 equal pieces and refrigerate to keep cool.
1. Combine all ingredients well. Chill until ready to serve.
1. Peel carrot into 4-inch curls about 1/2-inch wide. Wind around a skewer to curl and place in ice bath to crisp.
1. Stack asparagus pieces 3 wide and 3 high on each serving plate.
2. Pour sesame sauce over stacked asparagus and garnish with carrot curls.
Yield 4 servings