Chef Gary Patson and sous chef Mac Nurse,
Asparagus is in season by mid-April. Take advantage of this fact with a simple spring salad.
1/2 cup yogurt
2 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese, divided
1/4 cup squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp snipped fresh chives
1 garlic clove, minced
28 asparagus spears
2 tomatoes, cored, in wedges
1/2 cup chopped fennel leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine the yogurt and 1 Tbsp of blue cheese in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until blue cheese has barely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add lemon juice, chives and garlic to yogurt dressing. Whisk together.
1. Steam the asparagus over medium-high heat until bright green and tender. Set aside to cool.
1. Divide asparagus spears among four plates. Arrange asparagus in the centre of each serving plate and ring with tomato wedges.
2. Drizzle the yogurt dressing over top asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and garnish with the fennel leaves. Top with remaining blue cheese.
Yield 4 servings
Yield 17 tarts