Chef Hong Jian Zhu,
North Garden Restaurant
Presentation of this glistening bird will have jaws dropping around the room. Beneath the crisp and crackled skin each bite releases tangy, sweet, and savoury flavours.
1 cup honey or maltose
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup red vinegar
3 cups water
3 star anise
3 bay leaves
2 shallots, minced
2 Tbsp finely sliced ginger
1/2 tsp five spice powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp whole bean sauce
1 tsp chee hou sauce
1 Tbsp cooking wine
1. In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients but the duck, and set aside.
1. Remove the giblets and securely close the duck’s tail end with a skewer using an in-and-out sewing motion.
2. Spoon sauce into the body cavity, then seal up the neck with another skewer. Keep extra sauce.
3. In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to boil. Carefully blanch the duck for 1 min.
4. Remove duck and place on wire rack in a roasting pan. Baste generously with remaining sauce.
5. Remove duck and rack from pan and let rest in a cool, draughty place for 4-5 hrs.
6. Preheat oven to 410°F.
7. Transfer duck to empty roasting pan. Bake in oven for 10 mins.
8. Reduce temperature to 320°F and bake for 35 more mins.
9. Remove and let stand 5 mins before carving.
Yield 6 servings