Chef Helmut Mathae,
Pastry instructor at Louis Riel Arts & Technology Centre
This creamy dessert’s gelatinous texture is similar to a firm custard and can be sliced to serve. Alternatively, decorative moulds can be used to create unique presentations. Note: The dessert needs to be refrigerated overnight to set. The heady Frangelico rises across the palate and is finished by the velvety, foamy texture of the mousse and a flash of banana.
6 bananas, extremely ripe
4 cups half and half cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 cinnamon stick, lightly toasted
7 Tbsp sugar, divided
8 egg yolks
12 1 oz envelopes gelatin
1/4 cup Frangelico
2 cups banana anglaise, chilled
2 cups heavy cream
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine bananas, cream, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and 3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp of sugar.
2. Bring banana mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let sit for 30 min.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar. Set aside.
4. With a seive, strain banana and cream mixture into a clean saucepan and return to a simmer over medium heat.
5. Add egg yolk mixture to saucepan in 1/4 cup incriments.
6. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, approximately 5 min.
7. Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Strain mixture into clean bowl placed in the ice bath. Refrigerate until used.
1. In a large chilled bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until used.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine gelatin and Frangelico. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat.
3. In a double boiler over medium heat, heat mixture just until the gelatin has melted. Remove from heat.
4. Whisk the chilled banana anglaise into the gelatin mixture. Fold in whipped cream.
5. Pour evenly into 4 individual moulds or into a cupcake pan.
1. Remove cakes from fridge and carefully unroll.
2. Divide buttercream in half and evenly spread one half on each cake.
3. Carefully roll cakes back up in parchment, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Before serving, slice rolls into approximately 1″ pieces.
Yield 4 servings