Resto Gare – Chef Jaime Briones
Maple Sugar Pie
Whipped egg whites create a silky texture for the maple filling.
2 cups maple syrup
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup half and half cream
7 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
pinch of kosher salt
1. Separate eggs. Combine egg yolks with brown sugar, and whisk to ribbon stage. Then fold in maple syrup, flour and cream. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer with a wire whip, whisk egg whites to medium peaks, add salt and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
3. Immediately fold whipped whites into maple mixture in three stages, being careful not to deflate.
1. Carefully pour the mixture, evenly into the 2 chilled pie shells.
2. Place on bottom rack of the oven, and cook at 400°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325°F, and continue cooking for another 35 minutes.
3. To test if fully cooked, gently jiggle the pie, it should move as one cohesive unit.
4. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
Yield 2 pies