Chef Dave Bergmann,
Bergmann’s On Lombard
Chef Dave uses fresh bread to make his bread crumbs, being sure not to cut the bread too fine.
4 oz wild mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, chanterelle), diced
2 Tbsp canola oil
4 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
4 slices white bread, crust removed, cut into crumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste
4 (6 oz) beef tenderloin medallions
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large shallot, sliced
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup black currant jelly or jam
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Clean mushrooms and pat dry.
3. In a pan, heat oil, sauté mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Cool.
4. In a bowl, mix together cheeses, garlic, and fresh bread crumbs. Add cooled mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Season beef tenderloin on both sides with salt and pepper. In a hot pan, add canola oil, then sear tenderloin for 2 minutes per side. Set aside on baking sheet to cool.
6. Spread goat cheese mix to coat top of tenderloin pieces. Place on in oven for 6-8 minutes for medium rare or to desired doneness.
7. Using the original pan, sauté shallot until it begins to caramelize, approximately 3 minutes. Reduce heat and remove pan from stove and carefully deglaze with vinegar. Return to stove and add black currant jelly and reduce sauce by half.
1. Let tenderloin rest after removing from oven for a few minutes. Slice from one side of the top at a diagonal across through to the bottom. Arrange on heated dinner plates and serve with fresh vegetables and potatoes.
Yield 4 servings