Chef Beth McWilliam,
For a more robust taste, substitute ground beef patties with bison. Zingy horseradish aïoli made from scratch adds a nice bite.
1 free-run Vita Egg yolk
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp fresh or drained prepared horseradish
2 lbs ground bison meat
1/4 cup diced white onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 free-run Vita Egg
2 Tbsp organic ketchup
1 Tbsp Frank’s hot sauce
dash hot paprika
pinch chili flakes
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
2 tsp raw organic sugar
1/2 cup bread crumbs
12 Tall Grass Prairie whole wheat hamburger buns
1 head lettuce, washed and shredded
1 red onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
15 slices Bothwell smoked gouda cheese
1. In a small bowl using a stand mixer on medium speed, combine egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and rice vinegar.
2. While mixer is running, drizzle in canola oil to emulsify.
3. Fold in horseradish.
1. In a large bowl, use a spoon to combine onion, garlic, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire, hot sauce, cayenne, paprika, chili flakes, pepper, salt and sugar into bison meat.
2. Knead in bread crumbs.
3. Divide and form into 1 1/2″-thick patties.
4. Grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, around 10-12 mins.
1. Spoon on desired amount of aïoli on top bun.
2. Place meat on bottom bun and garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions and gouda. Close burger with top bun.
Yield 12-15 burgers