Chef Patrick Shrupka,
The sugar and salt in the gravlax recipe cure the salmon. *Note: The curing process takes three days.
1 tsp dried yeast
2 3/4 cup flour, divided
3 1/4 cups warm milk, divided
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
7 Tbsp whipped cream
Butter, to fry
2/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup salt
1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
16 oz salmon
1. In a large mixing bowl, blend dried yeast with 1/2 cup of the flour and 2 cups of the warm milk. Let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl combine 2 1/4 cups of the flour with egg yolks, the remaining 1 1/4 cups warm milk, and salt. Add to yeast mixture and let rest one hour.
3. Whip egg whites until stiff and add to the yeast mixture along with the whipped cream.
4. In a pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Drop in dough in small dollops and fry as small pancakes.
1. Mix sugar with salt. Pour into a large, flat metal pan and set aside.
2. Spread chopped dill over salmon. Place on pan.
3. Cover pan in plastic wrap and top with another pan that is weighted down. Place in a fridge for three days, turning the salmon each day.
4. Wipe off excess sugar and salt and slice salmon on a bias.
1. Top each blini with a slice of gravlax. Serve with a small amount of caviar on top or on the side.
Yield 3 dozen