by Erin Bend
Manitoba sun-sweetened blueberries and tangy goat cheese come together in this simply cool treat. Pick up a pack of pretty vanilla cookies at De Luca’s Specialty Foods to complete this handheld backyard dessert.
4 cups fresh Manitoba blueberries
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lime zest
8 egg yolks at room temp
3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 cup chèvre (soft goat cheese) at room temp
1 pkg Italian vanilla wafer cookies
1. Line two metal loaf pans (9x5x3″) with 2 layers of plastic wrap, leaving generous overhang on all sides.
2. In a medium saucepan on low heat, combine 3 cups blueberries, lime juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Cook gently while stirring for 10 mins, remove and stir in lime zest. Transfer cooked berry mixture to cool bowl, set aside.
3. In large bowl, use electric mixer on medium speed to whisk yolks and 1/4 cup sugar for 2 mins. Turn to high for 5 mins more. Transfer to clean bowl and set aside.
4. In a clean large bowl use electric mixer on med-low to whisk heavy cream, vanilla and icing sugar for 2 mins. Increase speed to medium until soft peaks form. Crumble in chèvre and whisk slowly to blend.
5. Gently fold together egg yolk and cream mixtures. Stir in cooked berries and 1 cup of fresh berries.
6. Pour into lined loaf pans. Freeze for minimum 6 hrs before serving.
1. Remove from freezer 3 mins before serving. Cut into 1″ slices and place between two wafers.
Yield 20 servings