6-7 sheets filo pastry per strudel
Extra virgin olive oil (for brushing)
basil or your herbs of choice
1 small shallot, julienne cut
4 asparagus spears
1 red pepper
8 grape tomatoes
1 carrot, cut into strips
1 cup julienne spinach
2-3 broccoli crowns
2-3 cauliflower florets
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut vegetables into similar sized pieces and lightly toss with salt, pepper, olive oil and small amount of fresh basil 2. Roast vegetables until slightly soft in preheated oven at 400ºF, approx. 10 min.; let cool to room temp
3. Lay 6 or 7 sheets of phyllo pastry out on table…
4. …lightly brushing each sheet at a time with olive oil.
5. Place roasted vegetables in a line on filo pastry.
6. Wrap tightly into strudel form.
7. Lightly brush with olive oil.
8. Bake until nicely golden brown in preheated oven at 375ºF, approx. 15 min.
9. Cut into slices. Chef Neil Higginson serves his vegetable strudel over mushroom risotto with savoury tomato sauce.