Chef Anna Paganelli,
De Luca’s Cooking School
Snowy and elegant, this cover-gracing cake delivers
decadence sans baking.
300 g savoiardi biscuits (ladyfingers)
8 Tbsp sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2-3 Tbsp Cognac or brandy
6 Tbsp rum
6 Tbsp sweet Marsala wine
12 Tbsp water
1/2 cup espresso coffee
2 cups sliced almonds
2 cups icing sugar
1. Boil the eggs for 4-5 mins, let cool.
2. Cream the sugar, boiled (but soft) egg yolks and butter. Add 2-3 Tbsp of Cognac or brandy and mix until creamy smooth. Set aside.
1. Line a 8″ cake pan with plastic wrap. Spread a thin layer of cream on the bottom of the pan.
2. Dip the savoiardi one at a time in a mixture of the Marsala and 6 Tbsp water to make the first layer over the cream.
3. Make the next layer of savoiardi dipped in mixture of rum and 6 Tbsp water. Cover this layer with the rest of the cream, spread evenly.
4. Continue with the next layer of savoiardi dipped in espresso coffee. Cover with wrap and refrigerate for minimum 8 hrs.
5. Just before serving, uncover and invert the cake onto a large serving platter, remove all the plastic wrap.
6. Combine the icing sugar with the almonds, place mixture over the cake. With your hands spread evenly over the top of the cake. Press some of the mixture against the sides all around for a finished decorated look.
7. Slice and serve.
Yield 6 servings