A chocolate shell and smooth cake interior create a bite-sized piece of heaven.
1 cup cocoa
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 cup eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter
4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract (optional)
4 cups chocolate wafers
1. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add oil and eggs one at a time.
2. Stir in milk, then boiling water. Scrape bowl often as mixture gets lumpy.
3. Pour into a greased 8” round cake pan.
4. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 min, until set in the middle.
Yield 1 cake
1. Cream butter
2. Gradually add icing sugar, milk, and vanilla
3. Beat for approx. 5 min until light and fluffy.
4. For chocolate icing, add cocoa powder.
1. Break up one 8” baked cake round and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in roughly ½ cup of buttercream icing and mix to create a hard paste. Start with half the icing and work in more until a firm ball is formed. The consistency should be similar to a rum ball.
3. Take a spoonful of the mixture with a small ice cream scoop for each cakette and roll into a ball. Place onto a baking sheet.
4. Melt chocolate wafers in a bowl over simmering water, stirring frequently. Do not overheat.
5. Using a fork, dip ball into melted chocolate and immerse completely.
6. Place onto plate or baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
7. Decorate as desired.
Yield approx. 1 dozen.