Chef/owner Arnaldo Carreira,
Orlando’s Seafood Grill
This traditional Portuguese fish stew celebrates the flavours of the sea with a bounty of fish and shellfish enhanced with a simple tomato broth.
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, julienne
1 white onion, sliced
1 sprig cilantro
1 handful fresh mint, chopped
4 red potatoes, sliced 1/2 cm thick
2 hot house tomatoes, chopped
4, 4 oz salmon fillets
4, 4 oz red snapper fillets
4, 4 oz halibut steaks
4 cups chicken broth, preheated
2 oz white wine
20 fresh mussels
ground pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, add olive oil, bay leaves, garlic, red pepper, onion, cilantro and mint. Sauté for 5 mins over medium heat.
2. Cover the herb and vegetable mixture with sliced potatoes. Add tomatoes and fish.
3. Add preheated chicken broth and white wine to pot and cover with lid. Do not stir.
4. Allow to cook for 15 mins over medium-high heat.
5. Add mussels. Cover again for 4–5 mins until shells have opened up.
6. Divide into 4 large pie plate-style bowls. Season with fresh ground pepper and serve.
Yield 4 servings