Canard à l’Orange
Chef Justin Bohemier,
La P’tite France
Chewy candied orange peels add appealing texture and sweetness to luscious duck meat.
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
7 tbsp diced butter
Candied Orange Peels
peel from 1 orange, sliced into small pieces
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 orange, quartered
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. In a pan on medium heat, add orange juice and zest, wine, and cream. Cook until reduced by half.
2. Remove from heat.
3. Fold in butter until sauce has a smooth glossy texture.
Candied Orange Peel
1. In a small pot, add all ingredients.
2. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove pot from heat immediately and cool for 1 hr. Repeat this step two more times.
3. Remove peels and add to orange sauce.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place orange and thyme inside the cavity.
3. Roast duck for 20 mins.
4. Lower heat to 250°F. Roast for 1 hr.
5. Remove from oven. Cool for 15-20 mins.
6. Garnish with orange sauce and candied peels.
Yield 2 servings