Chef Eric Lee,
Peppery arugula adds a bit of bite to fragrant basil pesto,
elevating this fresh and flavourful summer classic.
2 beefsteak tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
1 pkg real buffalo mozzarella
1/2 cup arugula
1/2 cup basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup grated Pecorino
1/2 cup olive oil, as needed
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 cups balsamic vinegar
1 cup sugar
1. Combine arugula, basil and pine nuts in a food processor, pulsing a few times.
2. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
3. Add grated Pecorino and pulse again until blended.
4. Add a pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
1. In a small pot, combine vinegar and sugar. Bring to a moderate boil, and boil 5 mins to reduce mixture by half.
2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 mins or until sauce has thickened (roughly as thick as pancake syrup).
1. Arrange tomato wedges on plate. One tomato yields one salad.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of buffalo mozzarella on tomato slices. Season with sea salt.
3. Top with a dollop of pesto. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic reduction. Serve.
Yield 2 servings