Chef/owner Roy Huntrods,
Caramelizing fennel with maple syrup adds a sweet and nutty dimension to the licorice-flavoured bulb.
2 medium-sized rounds of bocconcini cheese
2 Roma tomatoes
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
sea salt to taste
1/8 cup butter
1/2 fennel bulb, quartered
1 oz white wine
3 oz maple syrup
1 cup spring mix
fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Slice bocconcini and tomato into 1/4 inch rounds. Place alternating slices of cheese and tomato on 2 plates making sure to overlap.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice. Season with sea salt.
3. In a frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add fennel and cook until both sides are slightly browned.
4. Add wine and maple syrup. Reduce until fennel is caramelized.
5. Plate spring mix beside tomato and bocconcini. Drizzle with olive oil mixture.
6. Place caramelized fennel sections on top of greens. Season to taste with pepper.
Yield 2 servings