Carrots grow in abundance in Manitoba and carrot cake is always a crowd pleaser. Try this twist on the classic for a cool summer treat.
2/3 cups sugar
2 Tbsp corn syrup
2 cups water
1 cup pecan halves
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
Crown Royal Cranberries
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp Crown Royal
1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
1 2/8 oz pkg light creamcheese, softened
zest of 1 lemon
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine all ingredients.
2. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 45-60 mins until carrots are transluscent and syrup reduces.
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a bowl, combine all ingredients and spread onto an even layer on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 7-10 mins until toasted.
4. Cool completely and chop roughly.
Crown Royal cranberries
1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside.
1. In a stand mixer, combine ice cream, creamcheese and lemon zest. Whip until blended.
2. Drain cranberries and add to mixture.
3. Add pecans and carrots and beat gently
Yield 6 servings