Executive Chef Paul Masserey,
Pasta La Vista/Breadworks
When making this rustic, yet elegant dish, be sure not to overcook the livers— they will become dry and tough.
450 g chicken livers
4 cups all purpose flour
4 cups bread crumbs
1/4 cup chile flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 can beef stock, reduced to 1/2 cup
2 green onions, chopped
3 firm Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
2 Tbsp cold butter
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 whole pitas, sliced in wedges
1. Combine flour, bread crumbs, chile flakes, salt and pepper.
2. Dredge livers in flour mix.
3. In a saucepan, sear livers over high heat in canola oil.
4. Add balsamic vinegar and red wine. Bring to boil for 30 seconds.
5. Stir in reduced beef stock. Return to boil, then reduce heat.
6. Add green onions and tomatoes. 7. Stir in cold butter until melted.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Garnish with parsley and pita.
Yield 2 servings