Chef Paul Vocadlo,
Like a warm embrace on a cold day, this simple standard envelopes with its full-bodied chicken stock and chewy dumpling morsels.
1/4 whole chicken (about 6 lbs)
4 L water
1/2 cup minced (diced) celery
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup julienne carrots
1/4 cup minced green onion
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
pinch of salt and pepper
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1. Boil chicken in water for 1 hr until tender.
2. Remove bird from pot, peel meat off bones, reserve.
3. Add celery, onion, carrot to chicken stock, boil for 10 mins.
4. Meanwhile, in large bowl use a whisk to combine dumpling ingredients.
5. Add dumpling dough to simmering stock using wire whisk to break up. Bring soup back to boiling for 5 mins.
6. Return chicken pieces to pot.
7. Finally add green onion, parsley and season to taste.
Yield 10 servings