Chinese Black Bean Vermicelli
Equal parts tamarind, miso and hoisin are used for this recipe.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp garlic, crushed
1 tsp ginger, crushed
1 1/2 Tbsp Chinese black beans
1 1/2 Tbsp tamarind, miso, hoisin mixture
1/2 cup demi-glace
1 oz white wine
pinch each of kosher salt and black and white pepper
1-2 canned roasted red peppers, chopped fine
1/2 jalapeño, sliced in thin rings
3/4 cup bok choy, chopped
3 nests vermicelli pasta
1 Tbsp green onion
toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Place pot of salted water on stove to boil for pasta.
2. Put olive oil and sesame oil in a saucepan over med-high heat.
3. Add garlic, ginger, Chinese black beans, salt and pepper.
4. Add white wine, tamarind mixture and demi-glace.
5. Simmer to let flavours combine.
6. Add jalapeños and red peppers and simmer for a couple minutes.
7. Cook vermicelli in boiling water until done.
8. Add prawns and bok choy, and let simmer until shrimp turn pink and bok choy softens.
9. Add vermicelli and green onion.
10. Top with sesame seeds.
Yield 1 serving