Chocolate and beets pair up for a sweet, earthy duet.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 medium-sized beets, cut into 1/8″ slices
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups puréed cooked red beets, about 3 medium-sized boiled beets
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. In a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat, bring sugar and water to a boil.
2. Stir until sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and cool completely.
3. Add beets to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat. Cook until beets become translucent or about 1 hr.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beets to sheet.
5. Place beets in cold oven to dry overnight.
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F and oil bundt pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on high speed to combine 1/2 cup oil and brown sugar.
3. In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate chips.
4. Using a spoon, combine vanilla, puréed beets and melted chocolate with sugar mixture.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, use a spoon to combine flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add flour mixture to beet mixture and stir with spoon until combined.
7. Pour into pan and bake for 45 mins or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
8. Cool for 10 mins. Gently invert bundt on wire rack, removing cake from pan.
9. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and top with candied beets.
Yield 16 slices