A classic chili gets new life with this chocolate twist.
1 29 oz can whole tomatoes, broken up
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup Bon Vivant! Chocolate Chili sauce, or to taste
1 cup vegetable juice or tomato juice
1-2 Tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs beef or pork stew meat, cut into 1″ cubes or ground
2 cups onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
2 15 oz cans black, kidney and/or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
Prepare your favourite chili garnishes: shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese, sour cream, thinly sliced green onion, cilantro leaves, thinly sliced jalapeño peppers and sliced pitted ripe olives
1. In a 6 qt crockery cooker, combine both cans of undrained tomatoes, chocolate chili sauce, juice, chilli powder, cumin, oregano and garlic.
2. Stir in the meat, onion, celery, and green pepper.
3. Cover and cook over low heat setting for 8-10 hrs or over high heat for 4-5 hrs.
4. If using low heat, set aside beans until last 15 mins of cooking time, increase heat to high and add beans.
5. Spoon into bowls and add your favourite garnishes.
Yield 10 servings