Sweet Endings Cafe
This dressed-to-impress version of traditional gingerbread men
is always the first to go at parties, according to Renee. Since they’re
so stable, they make for great gifts.
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup molasses
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup white chocolate, melted
1. In a large bowl, mix shortening and sugar on medium speed for 3o seconds.
2. Add baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, molasses, egg and lemon juice. Mix.
3. Add flour. Mix until combined.
4. Preheat oven to 325˚F.
5. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4″ thick. Cut with gingerbread men cookie cutters.
6. Bake on a baking sheet 8-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
1. Dip each gingerbread man in dark or white chocolate. Cool until chocolate is set.
2. With a pastry bag, pipe on eyes, smiles and buttons.
Yield 3 dozen cookies