Pastry Chef Doug Krahn,
The Gates on Roblin
Chef Doug made mini-versions of this cocoa-rich torte
for our party. To make similar minis, use 4″ ramekins,
or for a fancier presentation purchase chocolate dessert cups.
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup icing sugar
125 g dark chocolate, melted
6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 pre-made chocolate sponge cake
1. In a large bowl, whip cream with icing sugar. Cool in fridge.
2. In a medium bowl, mix egg yolks. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat sugar to thread stage on a candy thermometer. Add hot sugar to eggs while mixing. Set aside to cool.
4. In a bowl combine butter and cocoa. Add to cooled egg mixture.
5. Mix in melted chocolate until smooth.
6. Mix 1/4 of the whipped cream to chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream.
7. Cut chocolate sponge cake to fit in bottom of ramekins or chocolate dessert cups.
8. Pour in chocolate whipped cream mixture. Chill.
Yield 10‑12 single servings or one 10″ cake