Chef David Hyde,
The name says it all. Luxurious, dense and sinfully delicious, this celiac-friendly flourless cake will make you forget all the other chocolate cakes out there. Play with garnishes for pretty presentation.
3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
6 extra large eggs
3/4 Tbsp vanilla extract
variety of berries
1. In a medium stainless steel bowl, whisk yolks, sugar and vanilla.
2. In a small microwave-safe dish, microwave whipping cream on 3/4 power for 2 mins.
3. Slowly add cream to other ingredients.
4. Over a pot of boiling water, whisk mixture until anglaise is thick.
5. Place anglaise in ice bath until cool.
Carlo’s marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
2. Over a pot of boiling water, melt chocolate and butter in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Add vanilla. Using a spatula, stir occasionally.
3. In a second stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water, whisk eggs until warm to touch.
4. Remove eggs from heat. Using a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat on high for 3 mins until volume triples.
5. Fold in half the egg mixture into the chocolate. Blend well. Fold in remaining mixture. Blend well.
6. Place in 8″ springform pan lined with parchment on bottom and sides. Double wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil.
7. Place springform in a roasting pan with 1″ hot water. Bake for 5 mins.
8. Rotate pan and springform for even baking. Cover loosely with a foil lid and bake for 10 mins.
9. Cool on wire rack for 45 mins. Chill for 3 hrs.
10. Garnish with berries, crème anglaise and sauces.
Yield 10 servings