This shapely presentation of baked pears wraps fruit,
chocolate and a sprinkle of gold in some holiday fun.
4 Bartlett pears
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cold butter
6 Tbsp cold cream cheese
1 egg yolk, beaten
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp edible gold leaf
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift flour. Cut in butter and cream cheese with pastry blender.
3. Place dough on floured surface, and form into a ball. Wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
4. Roll pastry into four 10″ circles, 1/4″ thick.
5. Peel, core and halve pears. Fill centres with chocolate chips and a sprinkle of gold leaf. Close pears.
6. Cut a small slit in centre of pastry circle for stem. Carefully place pastry over top of pear, cutting away excess and massaging downwards over fruit.
7. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Stand pears on paper. Decorate with pastry leaves and brush with egg yolk. Bake for 40 mins.