This 25 year old design shop moved to a new Exchange District location, and its elegant interior is jaw-dropping. The many high-end comely home decors at Interior Illusions are handsomely situated around the large, window-wrapped shop. From furnishings and blinds to striking leather sectionals, this shop carries brands such as Calvin Klein Rugs, Hunter Douglas blinds, Maxwell fabrics for any home improvements. Services also include in-home consultations. 100 Princess St, 925-4162.—EC
Originally located in Headingley Manitoba, My Photo Cookie has parked its exclusive bake shop on Corydon Ave. Imprinting photos on cookies is a piece of cake for this baker. Partnering with Much Music for its video awards has meant this cookie master has stamped confections for Britney Spears and Katy Perry. 791 Corydon Avenue, 831-9094.—EC
There were two critical omissions in Lilac Bakery‘s cupcake recipes in our April/May issue, and the fault is ours. We apologize for any botched batches eager bakers made and have posted the complete recipes on ciaowinnipeg.com.—EB
Watch for Boon Burger‘s new location, set to be in an old horse tunnel in the Exchange District. Next door, the Exchange Cafe was purchased by Hermanos’s owner who is opening Corrientes Argentine Pizzeria. Also coming soon, Danny’s Whole Hog Barbecue has teamed up with Winnipeg Blue Bomber Buck Pierce to open a new location in Hu’s Asian Bistro’s spot on Ellice Ave.—EC
• July1-31: Taste local flavours during Eat Winnipeg, a month-long culinary event celebrating some of Winnipeg’s top restaurants. Participating eateries offer three-course, prix fixe meals for $36 incorporating chef signature dishes and regional ingredients. Visit ciaowinnipeg.com June 8 for a list of participating restaurants and their complete Eat Winnipeg menus.—EC
Patio season pairs perfectly with chilled bottles of bubbly. Uncork these three summer sippers.
• The Manitoba Liquor Commission recommends a trendy new Valdivieso NVY Berries from Chile ($13.95), which is low in alcohol, and is packed with juicy berry flavour as well as a little pulp.
• Pop a bottle of Italian Nino Franco Brut Prosecco ($29.99) which is bone dry and bursting with bubbles. This De Luca Fine Wines selection is well balanced with a nose of apples, ripe peaches and pears.
• Refreshing with notes of citrus, Castellblanch Extra Brut Cava-Spain ($13.99) from Kenaston Wine Market is ideal for summer sipping. —EC
When the sun is high in the sky Winnipeggers pour out of skyscrapers to dine al fresco on downtown streets. Enterprising food trucks dish up great grub on the go:
• Travelling Mexican food truck El Torrito Taco & BBQ serves trios of soft beef or chicken tacos with fresh salsa and lime. 360 Portage Ave at lunch, @ElTorrito1, 298-5949.
• Look for Lovey’s Hog Mobile parked on Broadway at noon every Friday. This red truck draws crowds with wafting aromas of slow-cooked meats. Pulled pork is a savoury signature. @LoveysBBQ,
• For generations, the take-out only VJ’s Drive In has swarmed with grease hounds. The iconic ‘Fat Boy’ resides here as the VJ Special. 170 Main St, 943-2655.
• Grab a Reuben to go from Oscar’s Deli, where the classic sandwich is piled high with corned beef, sauerkraut and melted Swiss cheese. 175 Hargrave St, 947-0314.-EB