Tall Grass Prairie Bakery
Remember sweet smelling cinnamon buns coming out of Grandma’s oven? A whiff of these tasty treats will bring you back to childhood.
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
8 cups white flour
3/4 cup oil
2 Tbsp salt
5 cups water
2 1/2 cups brown sugar, divided
3 1/2 oz Bakers brick yeast (substitute 1.6 oz dry yeast)
1/2-1 cup margarine
1/4 cup cinnamon
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups margarine, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a mixer, blend flour, oil, salt, eggs, water, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar and yeast.
Note: Yeast and salt should be added on opposite sides of the bowl.
3. Once mixed, set dough aside and let rise one hour.
4. Roll dough 10 inches by 72 inches.
5. Spread a thin layer of margarine over surface of the dough. Sprinkle cinnamon and remaining brown sugar over margarine.
6. Roll dough width-wise, and cut into 30 equal slices.
7. To make glaze: In an electric mixer with paddle attachment, mix brown sugar and margarine until fluffy.
8. Spread glaze evenly over baking sheet and place buns on top, leaving space between to rise. Let buns rise until double in size.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
10. Flip buns onto an equal sized baking sheet so glazed side is up. Serve.
Yield 30 buns