Co-owners Belinda and Carol Bigold,
High Tea Bakery
Sugar cookies are often dry and have little flavour. To avoid this problem, the Bigolds always use real butter and real vanilla. It makes all the difference.
2/3 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tsp milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F
2. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add egg and milk.
3. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Sift together dry ingredients and blend into butter mixture.
5. Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
7. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 8-10 minutes. For best results, use a Silpat sheet liner for even baking.
8. Cool and remove from trays, ice .
Yield 24 cookies