Chef Cameron Huley,
Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South
A fine balance of savoury and tangy tastes complement tender duck meat.
Corned Duck and Brine
4 cups water
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp sea salt
2 Tbsp pink salt (available at Piazza Di Nardi)
10 juniper berries
3 pieces of star anise
1 bay leaf
1 5-6 oz duck breast
Corn and Citrus Relish
1 cup vinegar
2 cups corn kernels
1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
3 Tbsp cornstarch
4 Tbsp water
1/2 cup orange sections, cut in half
1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
1. In a medium-sized pot, add all ingredients except for duck.
2. Bring to a boil, remove from heat immediately and cool.
1. Marinate duck in refrigerated brine for 24 hrs.
2. Wrap duck tightly in plastic wrap.
3. In a pot of water, warm duck on stove top at 120˚F (monitoring with a thermometer) for 2 hrs. Refrigerate.
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss cooled brussel sprouts, lardons, apples and dressing with canola oil.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Garnish with pecan pieces.
1. In a blender or food processor, purée vinegar and 1/2 cup corn.
2. In a medium pot, add corn purée, remaining corn, red pepper, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer on medium heat.
3. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water. Add to relish.
4. Continue to cook until slightly thickened. Refrigerate until cool. Add orange sections and mint.
1. Thinly slice duck and serve with relish.
Yield 10 servings