Chef Alix Loiselle
La Belle Baguette
With two bustling Winnipeg locations, La Belle Baguette has garnered praise and popularity for its delicate French pastry classics and unique array of breads. Born in Winnipeg, yet extensively trained throughout Canada, Alix makes true French-Canadian favourites during Christmas, including cranberry walnut loaf and beloved meat pie, tourtière.
Cranberry Walnut Bread
The chewy texture of cranberries contrasts with the crunch of walnuts and slight hint of nutmeg, pulling together flavours of a traditional French Canadian Christmas. Consider pairing this robust loaf with a wheel of warm brie. Très bien!
4 tsp instant dry yeast
2 cups warm water
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
7 cups all purpose flour
1 cup walnut flour (powder)
3/4 cup walnuts (coarsely chopped)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 orange, zest and juice
1-2 pinches nutmeg powder
1. Mix yeast with warm water, let rise.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all other ingredients.
3. Add proofed yeast mixture with water to dry ingredients. Mix with dough hook on medium low speed for 5 minutes until dough forms into an elastic ball.
4. Transfer ball to floured counter. Cover and let rest 1 hour.
5. Divide dough in 2 balls. Flatten each dough ball, roll tightly into a cone shape, and place each loaf on pan with parchment. Lightly flour top of loaves, Cover and let rise until doubled again.
6. Preheat oven to 425°F.
7. Make straight line incision on top of loaves, bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until crust has a dark golden colour.
Yield 2 loaves