Perfect for a murder mystery dinner or as a, perhaps cynical, Valentine’s Day dessert.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup red food colouring
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Combine flour and salt, set aside.
3. Combine cocoa and food colouring until smooth, set aside.
4. Cream together shortening and sugar, beat at medium speed for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Beating on low speed, add flour and sugar alternately with buttermilk and vanilla.
6. Add cocoa mixture until colour of batter is uniform.
7. In a small bowl, mix vinegar with baking soda. Stir briefly, then fold into cake batter.
8. Pour into greased and floured heart-shaped pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool and frost. Serve atop raspberry or strawberry coulis.