Chef Scott Evans
The original founders established one of Winnipeg’s most popular commissaries in December 1999, and today Stella’s has expanded to eight locations throughout the city. Chef Scott Evans adds substantial value to the bakery cafe’s Norwegian influences by adhering to traditional recipes, and adding his own touch to the beautiful breads made with wholesome, sustainable ingredients.
A Nordic classic and owners’ family favourite, this earthy Danish rye offer a dense and satisfying bite to charcuterie, or accompanying cheese. Stella’s spicy red pepper jelly works for us!
12 1/4 cups rye flour
3 cups rye meal
4 1/8 Tbsp yeast
1/4 cup salt
3 cups sunflower seeds
7 cups water
1/8 cup caramel colour
1. Combine water, caramel and yeast in a mixing bowl.
2. Place dry ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and blend on low speed. Add wet ingredients and mix until dough is formed.
3. Remove dough from bowl, cover, and let rest for 20 minutes.
4. Portion dough into 4 sections. Place each portion into shallow, greased bread pans. Press out dough evenly on smoothing surface with small wet rubber spatula.
5. Allow to rise 3”-4” or until dough begins to rise above pan level.
6. Bake at 370°F for 30 minutes, rotate, then bake another 30 minutes.
Yield 4 loaves