Chef Masa Sugita,
Yujiro Japanese Restaurant
Specially created for a regular customer at Yujiro, East meets West in this brawny surf ‘n’ turf roll. Soft pieces of tuna and beef contrast against crunchy onions and kaiware. For easy rolling, cover the sushi mat in plastic wrap to create a non-sticky surface.
3.5 oz rib eye steak
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup sushi rice
2/3 sheet of nori (sushi seaweed)
1.75 oz tuna, thinly sliced
1/8 jumbo onion, sliced 1/4″
1 Tbsp mayonnaise (Japanese)
small handful kaiware (daikon sprout)
1 Tbsp bonito flakes
1 tsp ground ginger
1. Using salt and pepper, season the middle section of rib eye only.
2. In a non-stick pan, sear rib eye over high heat for 30 secs.
3. Cool and cut 8 thin (2 mm) slices of beef. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F and oil bundt pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on high speed to combine 1/2 cup oil and brown sugar.
3. In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate chips.
4. Using a spoon, combine vanilla, puréed beets and melted chocolate with sugar mixture.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, use a spoon to combine flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add flour mixture to beet mixture and stir with spoon until combined.
7. Pour into pan and bake for 45 mins or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
8. Cool for 10 mins. Gently invert bundt on wire rack, removing cake from pan.
9. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and top with candied beets.
Yield 16 slices