Chef Masa Sugita,
Yujiro Japanese Restaurant
Specially created for a regular customer at Yujiro, East meets West in this brawny surf ‘n’ turf roll. Soft pieces of tuna and beef contrast against crunchy onions and kaiware. For easy rolling, cover the sushi mat in plastic wrap to create a non-sticky surface.
3.5 oz rib eye steak
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup sushi rice
2/3 sheet of nori (sushi seaweed)
1.75 oz tuna, thinly sliced
1/8 jumbo onion, sliced 1/4″
1 Tbsp mayonnaise (Japanese)
small handful kaiware (daikon sprout)
1 Tbsp bonito flakes
1 tsp ground ginger
1. Using salt and pepper, season the middle section of rib eye only.
2. In a non-stick pan, sear rib eye over high heat for 30 secs.
3. Cool and cut 8 thin (2 mm) slices of beef. Set aside.
1. Cook sushi rice according to package directions.
1. Lay rice on a 2/3 sheet of nori. Flip over, rice side facing down on a sushi rolling mat.
2. Place tuna, onion, mayo, kaiware and bonito flakes across the nori.
3. Using a sushi rolling mat, roll up ingredients.
4. Top with sliced seared rib eye.
5. Slice roll into 8 pieces. Garnish with onion and ginger on top of each piece.
Yield 8 slices