Chef Alexander Svenne,
Bistro 7 1/4
Earthy and rich, this local duck dish evokes our province on a plate.
4 large duck breasts, score the skin
salt and pepper
1 lb baby potatoes, boiled and sliced
1 lb assorted wild and button mushrooms
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup port
2 cups chicken or duck stock
pinch dried chiles
salt and pepper to taste
1. Season duck with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet over med heat, sear the duck skin side down. Cook the duck on the skin side to render off fat.
3. Once the skin is brown and crispy flip over and sear opposite side. Remove duck from pan and hold in a warm place -it will continue to cook slowly.
4. Add potatoes, mushrooms and sprig of thyme to the duck fat laden pan. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Sauté until potatoes are golden, sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
6. Place on plates. Thinly slice duck on the bias, arrange on top of potatoes.
1. Bring port to a boil. Reduce until almost gone.
2. Add stock, bring to boil. Reduce by half. Season.
3. Pour sauce in a pool around potatoes.
Yield 4 servings