There’s nothing naughty about leaving Santa these pillowy soft and colourful wreath cookies. Fragrant flavours of nutmeg and vanilla go down as nice as a glass of eggnog.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup eggnog
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp rum extract
red and green food colouring
1 egg white, beaten
1/4 cup coarse sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 3 cups flour, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. With electric mixer on low, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add egg, eggnog, vanilla and rum extract, scraping down sides until well blended.
5. Gradually add flour mixture. Divide mixture evenly into two bowls.
6. Add desired amount of food colouring to each mixture and knead colour through dough until even.
7. Roll each dough into a 12″ log, wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 30-45 mins.
8. Cut each log into 24 pieces. 9. On a floured work surface, roll each piece into a 6″-8″ rope and place side by side. Twist green rope over red rope, gently pressing the ends together into a wreath shape. Repeat with remaining ropes.
10. Place on parchment-lined or ungreased cookie sheets about 2″ apart.
11. Brush wreaths with egg white and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
12. Bake for 12-15 mins. Cool completely on wire racks.
Yield 24 cookies