This trompe l’oeil is a sweet twist on Quebec’s signature fast food: poutine.
1 loaf sourdough bread
2 cups milk
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
dash of salt
1 oz whiskey
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup white chocolate chips
1. Using knife, trim edges of loaf until level. Horizontally cut bread into 1/2″ layers. Cut layers into French fry shapes.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk and salt.
3. Working in small batches, place fries in egg mixture. Soak on all sides for a few seconds.
4. Transfer fries to heated pan, frying until all sides are golden. Keep warm until served.
1. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add sugar and salt. Stir constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Adjust heat to medium and boil for two mins.
2. Add maple syrup and whiskey. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until sauce coats a spoon. Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving.
Arrange fries in a bowl. Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with white chocolate chips.
Yield 5 servings