Chef Angela Baschuk,
This light and icy torte is an ideal dessert for the hot prairie summers. The sweet, locally foraged saskatoons balance the tang of the lemon sauce, and both fruits melt into the richness of the meringue and whipped cream. Assembly takes some time, but it can be made in stages over a few days.
2 1/4 cups white sugar
9 egg whites
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
3 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups frozen saskatoons
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 orange, zested
2 Tbsp of orange juice
3 cups whipping cream
1. Trace four, eight-inch circles on parchment paper. Place paper upside down on baking sheet.
2. Heat oven to 200˚ F.
3. Combine 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp of the sugar, cornstarch and zest. Set aside.
4. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla then fold in reserved sugar mixture.
5. Spoon meringue onto the prepared parchment paper and smooth the tops.
6. Bake for 1 hr or until dry and easily removed from the parchment paper. Let cool completely. Meringues can be stored in a cool, dry place for 3 days.
1. Combine eggs and sugar in double boiler. Mix well with whisk.
2. Add lemon juice and melted butter. Stir.
3. Cook the sauce, stirring often, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Cool. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to a week.
1. In a saucepan, mix saskatoons, sugar and water. Bring to a boil.
2. In separate bowl, combine orange juice and cornstarch, mixing until there are no lumps.
3. While stirring saskatoon mixture, add the cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly for 1 min to allow the starch taste to cook out and for mixture to thicken.
4. Cool. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to a week.
1. Whip cream and fold in half of the lemon sauce.
2. Place one meringue layer on desired plate, spread 1/4 of the whipped cream mixture on top, then 1/4 of the remaining lemon sauce followed by 1/3 of the saskatoon sauce.
3. Repeat with remaining meringue layers and sauce, ending with the whipped cream mixture and lemon sauce on top.
4. Freeze for at least 8 hr before serving. Torte can be wrapped in plastic and kept for two weeks.
Yield 12 servings