Pastry chef/ owner Nina Notaro,
Ginger and five-spice powder add gentle heat to this out-of-the-ordinary caramel corn. Dashes of gold powder and glitter glam it up.
12 cups air-popped popcorn
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1/8 tsp salt
pinch of ground red pepper
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
edible metallic gold powder, to garnish
edible gold glitter, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 250˚F.
2. Place popcorn in large, greased disposable aluminum roasting pan and set aside.
3. In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter, corn syrup and brown sugar.
4. Increase heat, bring to a boil and cook for 5 mins.
5. Add vinegar, five spice powder, salt and ground red pepper and remove from heat.
6. Stir in baking soda and ginger.
7. Immediately pour over popcorn and gently mix with spatula.
8. Bake for 1 hr, stirring occasionally.
9. Cool and lightly dust with gold powder and glitter.
Yield 3 quarts