Pastry chef/owner Nathalie Gauthier,
A L’Epi de Blé
Nathalie shared that she likes to play around with this versatile recipe, sometimes swapping out hazelnut flour for almond flour, or combining the two. Don’t skip the resting period, it’s critical to achieve the full height and chewy texture of these addictive sweets.
2 1/8 cups powdered sugar
2 1/8 cups hazelnut flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg white
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp warm water
1. Combine powdered sugar, hazelnut flour and cinnamon.
2. While mixing, gradually add the egg white. Continue blending until dough is smooth.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough. Cut into shapes with small cookie cutters.
4. Leave cookies uncovered at room temp for 8 hrs or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Transfer cookies to sheet pan. Bake for 5 min.
7. Remove from oven, transfer cookies to cooling rack.
8. Whisk together powdered sugar and water to create uniform glaze.
9. Brush glaze over cool cookies.
Yield upwards of 2 dozen