Stella’s Café and Bakery
Sweet and salty mingles throughout the delicate flesh of this no-cook meal.
1/4 cup coarse sea salt
1/3 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
1 kg fresh salmon, skin on boneless fillet
1/2 cup coarsely chopped
4 slices Danish rye bread
2 pieces leaf lettuce
4 lemon wheels
4 sprigs fresh dill
1 Tbsp water
6 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 Tbsp white sugar
3 Tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 Tbsp finely chopped
1. Combine first 3 ingredients.
2. Place fillet skin side down in a large, flat bottomed container.
3. Cover fish with half of sugar mix and all dill. Spread remaining sugar mix over.
4. Cover with plastic wrap. Put another container on top of fish, weigh down with heavy objects.
5. Refrigerate for 12 hrs, turn fish over. Repeat process at least 5x. Cure for 60-72 hrs.
1. Combine water, mustard, sugar and vinegar in food processor.
2. Slowly add oil until emulsified. Stir in dill.
1. Place half leaf of lettuce on each slice of bread. Add sliced fish over lettuce.
2. Sauce to taste. Garnish with lemon and dill.