Chef Lorna Murdoch,
Lean and tender grass-fed beef has a distinct brawny taste. Available at Humboldt’s Legacy, 887 Westminster Ave, 772-1404.
3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8″-thick slices
1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 cups cream
1 cup grated Bothwell smoked gouda
8-8 oz grass-fed beef tenderloins
1. Place rack in the center of oven and preheat to 400˚F.
2. Generously butter a 13″x 9″x 2″ baking dish.
3. Arrange 1/3 of the potato slices on the bottom of the prepared baking dish, overlapping them slightly.
4. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme and 2 tsp of grated cheese.
5. Pour 1/2 cup cream over potatoes and spread evenly. Repeat layering 2 more times.
6. Bake for 30 mins.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 350˚F and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, about 25 mins.
8. Cool for 20 mins before serving.
1. Grill steaks over medium heat to desired doneness. For medium, grill for 3-4 mins each side.
Yield 8 servings