Chef Joe Dokuchie,
Tavern In The Park
Your hands are the best tool when preparing the bison with the herb oil and mustard (Herb Oil recipe).
4 (4 oz) bison tenderloin
1 cup toasted breadcrumbs (seasoned with butter, thyme, rosemary, garlic)
1 tsp dijon mustard
Seasoning salt, to taste
3 whole red onions
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp coarse ground black peppercorns
1 tsp green peppercorns
1 pinch chiles
1/4 cup red wine
2 cups beef demi-glace
1 Tbsp whipping cream
1 Tbsp cold butter
1. Season bison with seasoning salt.
2. Rub meat with dijon mustard and roll in seasoned breadcrumbs.
3. Sear in a medium hot pan on all sides until medium rare.
4. Cut into thin slices.
Pickled red onions
1. Slice onions thinly on mandolin. Place in a stainless steel pan with sugar, white vinegar and salt. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the onions become syrupy.
1. Bring a small saucepan to medium high heat. Add canola oil, black and green peppercorns, and the chiles. Add red wine and reduce by two thirds.
2. Add demi-glace. Bring to a boil. Add whipping cream.
3. Adjust seasoning and bring to a boil again.
4. Whisk in cold butter and serve.
5. Garnish finished plate with fresh herbs.
Yield 4 servings