Chef Alexander Svenne,
Bistro 7 1/4
Spicy chorizo and a smoky char lend land elements to aquatic octopus, while syrup-soaked oranges inject pops of sweetness.
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 chorizo sausage
1 small orange
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Place octopus in a large pot with vinegar, bring to boil.
2. The octopus will give off so much water it will fill the pot. Turn heat down and simmer for 2 hrs. Remove from heat, cool.
Oranges in Syrup
1. Cut orange in slices, cut slices in quarters.
2. Blanch oranges in pot of boiling water. Cool.
1. Cut tentacles off octopus, discard the head.
2. Grill tentacles until hot and nicely charred.
3. Dice chorizo, fry until crisp, place on plates.
4. Slice octopus tentacles and arrange on top of chorizo. Garnish with oranges.
Yield 8 servings