Chef Tom Janzen,
Bread & Circuses’
In the tradition of visiting the market to gather essentials for the week ahead, Bread & Circuses collects the finest of the market’s offerings and prepares this adaptable salad of greens and roasted veggies. A zingy vinaigrette completes this garden feast.
2 cups greens (romaine, butter lettuce, spinach or other fresh varieties)
2 cups garden veggies (zucchini, red or yellow peppers, broccoli or any fresh varieties)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 oz Oak Island goat feta cheese, cut into 1/2″ cubes
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp chopped basil
1/8 tsp chopped thyme
1. Wash and tear greens into bite sized pieces.
2. Cut veggies into bite sized pieces. Place in tight‑lidded container with marinade for 1 to 4 hours, turning several times to coat veggies.
3. Place veggies in a wire basket and roast in a 450°F oven or on the barbecue until lightly browned.
4. Place feta on parchment and bake in a 400°F oven for 10 min or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool for 20 min.
5. Place dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously.
6. In a large bowl, lightly toss greens, roasted veggies, baked feta and add dressing to taste.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings