The Flavours of Canada,
edited by Anita Stewart
After roasting the red peppers, let them sit in a paper bag for a few minutes. This makes the skins easier to remove.
1 cup yogurt
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/8 tsp hot sauce
2 Tbsp minced shallot (1 small)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 small eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 red onion, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 roasted red peppers
1 large baguette, cut in four
1 large tomato, sliced
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp chopped jalapeño pepper
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh arugula leaves
1. In a blender, mix all ingredients at low speed until smooth. Set aside.
1. Season rounds of eggplant, squash, zucchini and onion with basil, oregano, marjoram and cayenne. Lightly brush both sides of rounds with vegetable oil. Grill until golden brown.
3. Cut each baguette in half lengthwise and scoop out the soft interior. Lightly toast baguettes on the grill or broiler rack.
4. Layer the tomatoes on one side of the bread, sprinkle with black pepper and jalepeño pepper. Continue layering with basil and arugula leaves, roasted peppers, then slices of eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini and onion.
5. Coat the inside of the remaining half of each baguette with the dressing and place on top of the sandwich. Cut in half and serve.
Yield 4 servings