Owner/General Manager Marnie Feeleus,
Fresh Option Organic Delivery
The smokiness of the grilled vegetables complements the rich, roasted garlic flavour. A burst of piquant onion picks up the tempo. The final note is the pungent freshness of the basil. This healthful salad can be made without grilling the vegetables. Mix the vegetables, without lettuce, in the dressing and allow to marinate overnight. This will tenderize the squash and infuse it with flavour.
4 small green and yellow zucchini
6 medium, firm tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chick peas, cooked, or a
12 oz can, drained
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup vinegar (red wine, white or herb infused)
3 cups baby greens field mix
1-2 cloves garlic, about 1 Tbsp
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 cup basil, thinly sliced
3/4 cup olive or canola oil
1. Slice zucchini into 1/4″ thick pieces either lengthwise on a mandolin or into rounds with a knife.
2. Cut tomatoes into wedges.
3. Brush zucchini and tomato with olive oil.
4. On a hot barbeque or grill, grill vegetables until tender, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove from grill and set aside in a large bowl to cool.
5. Add chick peas, green pepper and onion. Set aside.
1. With a mortar and pestle or in a small food processor, crush the garlic cloves together with the salt to form a paste.
2. In a small bowl, combine garlic and salt paste with vinegar, pepper, caraway seeds, half the basil and olive oil.
3. Pour over grilled vegetables. Chill for one hour.
1. Arrange lettuce or greens on serving dishes.
2. Divide vegetables into four portions. Place on the lettuce and spoon over any remaining dressing.
3. Chop remaining basil and sprinkle over salad.
Yield 6-8 servings