Chefs Doug Krahn and Betty Lai,
Soft and elastic, gum paste is the best edible modeling clay to create an artistic bow or dazzling snowflake toppers. Pick up liquid glucose at Belle Cake and Candy, see page 28. Wilton Gum Tex is available at Michaels, michaels.com for locations.
3 Tbsp Wilton Gum-Tex
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
4 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp liquid glucose
1/4 tsp Wilton food colouring paste
crystal sugar for garnish
1. In a metal bowl of a stand mixer, mix the gum tex at medium speed with three cups powdered sugar.
2. In a glass measuring cup, mix water and glucose using a spoon.
3. Heat glucose mixture in microwave on high for 30 secs.
4. Pour the mix into dry ingredients. Using a stand mixer, combine at medium speed until blended.
5. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let sit for 8 hrs at room temperature.
6. Knead remaining powdered sugar into the paste.
1. Knead food colouring paste into gumpaste until colour is mixed in completely.
2. Roll out gum paste to 1/8″ thick. Cut out 13 1” x 5” strips.
3. Set aside two strips. Form each remaining strip into a loop and let dry on their sides, using a little water to adhere loops where ends meet. Let dry overnight.
4. Use reserved strips for tail of the bow. Using a small knife, cut ends at angles and shape into a slight wave. Dry overnight.
5. Lay 5-6 loops in a circle on the cake. Use royal icing (see recipe page 41) to glue bow pieces together. Gradually add loops one at a time until bow is complete.
1. Roll out gumpaste to 1/8″ thick and cut out snowflakes using desired cutter.
2. Use royal icing to pipe around the edges of the snowflake and sprinkle with crystal sugar. Let dry overnight.
Yield 1 large bow and 20 snowflakes of assorted sizes